Archive for the ‘Dighavapi’ Category

h1

Dighavapi

July 20, 2011

The department has located 35 archaeological sites in the Dighavapi complex. The archaeological area is a mere 42 square kilometres in extent. The area declared under the Archaeological department is only four hundred yards in radius of each site leaving the other areas unprotected under the Antiquities Ordinance No. 9 of 1940. There are several ancient inscriptions in the area. In 1986 a gold leaf inscription 14 cm in length and 1.5 cm in width had been unearthed. The inscription had been deposited inside a reliquary made of thick gold sheets. The text of the inscription was as follows: “Hail. The stupa (reliquary) of King Mahitisa (Kannittha Tissa) son of King Naka”. King Kannittha Tissa reigned from 164 — 192 AD.

%d bloggers like this: